Where did evil come from – Why does God permit it – When is He going to stop evil – What is the purpose of the freedom God has given us
By: The John Ankerberg Show
| The media player is loading…
|If God exists, why is there evil in the world? What is evil? Where did evil come from? Why doesn’t God intervene and stop all evil? How can physical evils such as earthquakes, tornadoes and cancer be explained? Is there a good reason for the existence of hell on which even some atheists would agree? What about those who have never heard the Gospel?
Copyright: 2003, Number of Programs: 8, Cat. No. EVL
Keywords: Existence of Evil, Evil defeated, 1 Timothy 2:5, Acts 4:12
- Ankerberg: Where did evil come from? Why does God permit it? When is He going to stop it? And what’s the purpose for this freedom that He has given us?
- Geisler: There’s a good God, infinitely good, infinitely powerful, infinitely wise. Knew everything was free; didn’t have to create; didn’t create because He needed us – He didn’t need anything. He was infinitely perfect in Himself. Created us because He wanted to, wanted to share His goodness with us. Made perfect creatures called angels, some called human beings. These perfect creatures had a perfect thing called “free will.” They used that freedom to rebel against God. That’s called “evil.” They brought all of the disaster, sin, catastrophe that this world has. Didn’t catch God by surprise.
- He preplanned that He would permit this evil to achieve a greater good. Sent His Son into the world to die for evil. He defeated evil officially at His first coming on the cross; He’s going to come back again and defeat it actually at His Second Coming. Our hope that that will happen is that what He predicted the first time would happen did happen, all literally true: 190 prophecies in the Old Testament were fulfilled at Christ’s first coming. That’s my guarantee or down payment that He’s going to return and finish the job, and then separate good from evil – not against our freedom but according to our freedom. Do you freely want to love God? Okay – place called Heaven. You want to do your own thing – place called hell. Separate good from evil. No more evil to bother good people; no more good to bother evil people – they can each do according to their will which is the right thing for free creatures.
- Ankerberg: And Jesus Christ was sent to be the One who would pay the great price so that we’d have a chance to choose. Okay? Talk about people not bypassing what Christ has done, and the necessity, the importance, if you will, of putting their trust in Christ.
- Geisler: There is only one God and there is only one Mediator between God and man [1 Tim. 2:5], because only the Person who is both God and man can reach to God because He is God, reach to man because He is man, and bring God and man together. That’s why, “There is no salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men, by which we must be saved.” [Acts 4:12] He’s the only One who could possibly save the whole world. Buddha died and he is still dead. Muhammad died and he is still dead. Confucius died and he is still dead. Jesus rose from the dead to prove He is the Son of God, and God offers Him as a free gift to anyone who will believe. It’s an offer nobody should refuse.