Does evil exist – If so, why doesn’t God do something about it
By: The John Ankerberg Show
| The media player is loading…
|If God exists, why is there evil in the world? What is evil? Where did evil come from? Why doesn’t God intervene and stop all evil? How can physical evils such as earthquakes, tornadoes and cancer be explained? Is there a good reason for the existence of hell on which even some atheists would agree? What about those who have never heard the Gospel?
Copyright: 2003, Number of Programs: 8, Cat. No. EVL
Keywords: Existence of Evil, Reality of Evil
- Ankerberg: Frame the problem of evil. What is it that we as Christians are facing? What do we have to contemplate when we look at evil in the world?
- Dr. Norman Geisler: Well, the first thing is, we have to decide whether or not it is real. And there are three basic views. The pantheist says God exists but evil is not real; the atheist says evil is real but God doesn’t exist. Our problem is, we believe God exists and evil is real. So that’s the problem.
- Ankerberg: Yes, and if it is real, people say, “Why doesn’t God do something about it?”
- Geisler: That’s exactly right. Because if He is all powerful, it seems like He could do something about it. And if He is all good, [it] seems like He would do something about it. But it doesn’t look like He is doing anything about it, so how can we have that kind of God?
- Ankerberg: Yeah. And this discussion that we’re having is not just an intellectual one. I mean, it’s an emotional thing because everybody that’s watching has been faced or touched with this problem. You’ve been touched with it as well. You were close to 9/11 yourself. You were up in New York, weren’t you?
- Geisler: Yes, I was. I was speaking to a Chinese group the week before, and I asked them a week or so after it happened, “Were any of your people in the Tower” – because I knew some of them worked there – and they said, “Well, our whole church was out to a restaurant the night before and we all got food poisoning and no one went to work that day. So, that tells me that there is a God and He is watching over His own.